Pledge Levels: Thoughts & Advice

Screen Shot 2013-09-18 at 11.06.50 AMOn Kickstarter you get different “gifts” given to you for donating at different price points. For example, for my film “Rolled“, if you donated $25 you got the Rolled DVD. For $35 we hung an image of you in the background of the film. For $300 we name dropped you in the film.

On October second my good friend Drew Manning will be launching his Kickstarter campaign for a novel he’s written called Earth Alpha. It’s the first trilogy in a ten part saga spanning space and time. I’ve been helping him prepare his kicstarter campaign so he can hire a copy editor and an artist to create 30 images to go along with the 300 page story. Now we’re trying to lock down the different pledge level rewards. I’m hoping we can get some feedback from as many people as possible, so we can tweak them as needed.

Thanks for your help, you look beautiful today.

Project: Earth Alpha: The first trilogy in a ten part saga

Donate:

$1: Drew tweets a 140 character story about you that takes place in the Earth Alpha universe.

I like this one because it’s a low level of entry. For as little as $1 you are involved with the project. The question is, should it be $5? My instinct says to keep it at $1. Alternatively we could thank all the donors on the Earth Alpha website for $1, and the tweet could be $5.

$7: Receive the Earth Alpha ebook for Kindle, iPad, or PDF. Plus the gifts above.

$15: Receive Earth Alpha, the novel, with all its images, in all its glory. Plus a free ebook version. The book will retail for $19.99

$20: Your name in the thank you section in the back of the Earth Alpha novel. Your name in Print!

$50: A character drawing of you as a super hero in the Earth Alpha world, printed in the back of the book.

$75: A signed copy of the Earth Alpha by the author, plus everything above.

$100: A Kickstarter limited edition cover of Earth Alpha, signed, and everything above.

$300: A short story will be written about you that takes place in Earth Alpha. It will be published at the end of the novel.

$500: One of the characters names will be changed to your name in the main story.

We are open to all sorts of ideas. If you think we should add anything, or change the price of any of these, please let us know. Thanks again. You can sign up for the Earth Alpha mailing list here, and like Earth Alpha on Facebook.

Pledge Levels: Thoughts & Advice

28 Responses

1. These gifts all sound awesome and worthy. I look forward to seeing myself as a superhero! I think a thank you list on the website could be worth the $1 and a tweet could be worth between $3-5. I also think the gift for $50 and the $75 could be swapped. Drawing a character seems like a lot more work than signing the book ;) Great work you guys. It’s all coming together!

cait September 18, 2013 at 10:46 am #
  2. I think $1 is too low. If you have $1 to give, you have $3 or $5 to give so why not start there? $1 would make sense if you wanted a large base of people to have committed something or if you want to upsell then to a higher donation but the latter isn’t really how KS works.

I’d be concerned about the amount of tweets you need to send, especially with all the other tiers getting a tweet too – where will these tweets be published too, isn’t that a lot of tweets, is that going to piss off any of the organic followers to that account, etc?

The one other data point missing here is the target goal. My views on $1 vs $5, and what the maximum donation should be would change if the goal was $5000 vs $50,000.

You have more experience than I do on this, but I’d also check real-world costs make these levels correct. $7 for ebook costs nothing to fulfill. On the $15 for the novel level, if the raw cost of the book and the shipping is $8 or more, you actually ‘make’ less money at this level than the lower tier. (‘make’ meaning, how much you put towards the actual fund for the project).

Ben Metcalfe September 18, 2013 at 12:22 pm #
  3. People think in whole numbers. IMHO you’re leaving money on the table by not going with simple $5, $10, $20 etc levels. $1 is the “thanks for your support” level, and doesn’t require any gift other than a thanks. $5 is a great price for the tweet- that’s creative and cool! The ebook is worth more than $7- I suggest $10. In my experience, many people will give just to give, and they could care less about the extra $3 discount.

Good point above about shipping costs of the physical book. How about $20 for the book with a special edition cover at this level, or a small limited edition art print to go with it? That won’t cost you much but makes it still special for the early adopters- more special than a discount would ever be. The most popular level of donation will be the minimum level to get the product- look at other campaigns and you’ll see this pattern, so this is the one you want to nail and should not simply discount.

Skip the current $20 name in the back of the book thing. The $50 level is amazing and cool, and totally more cool than a signature.

I see I stole the $100 level’s prize to give away at $20. Fine. $100 is a lot. Maybe give them the original custom drawing in a small mat so they can frame it. Or just the original drawing, but with color. I don’t think too many people will go for this so you won’t be overwhelmed.

The other levels are fine, but my humble guess it they will be unlikely to get many takers. That’s ok since it would take a lot of work.

Looking forward to it!

Beth September 18, 2013 at 1:10 pm #
  4. A few quick thoughts: Always have a way people can pay you more, it helps price-anchor the lower levels as well. There should be a 25% or 33% of the total level, perhaps with a “We’ll fly you out to see the book get created for a day” type of reward.

You don’t need to use “plus everything above”. Spell out what is given at each level, and you may not want to commit to too many tweet stories.

The book + custom drawings is a really cool combo.

Much agreement with other commenters!

Take luck!

Brook R September 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm #
  5. I agree with many of the above comments. Especially about whole numbers.
    $1 thank you on website
    $5 tweet – I think this should be only at this level, higher levels can add it on if they like. (Maybe that will keep people to only $5 pledge but I doubt it and agree that the number of tweets could get overwhelming.
    $10 E-book This seems like a fine price for an e-book and supporting the project get made. If you wanted it lower I would go with $8 rather than $7, but not really sure why.
    $20 Physical Book I think offering it at the same price as it will retail for is fine as long as you include something special for them. Small art print or just the back of the book.
    I agree that $50 and $75 should be switched and then all the higher goals look good.
    If someone pledges for $500 a characters name will be changed to their name and they will receive the $300 level of a short story written about them. This might be weird or cause confusion in the main story unless a different name was used.
    All in all looks solid. I am wondering about the size of the book, pages, illustrations, etc as that might change how I feel about a $20 base pledge level.

Tim Eisner September 19, 2013 at 10:11 am #
  6. I agree with the majority in that $1 is too little for anything but a mention on the website. And also that the $50 and the $75 should be swapped. Otherwise they seem good to me.

Delson September 19, 2013 at 9:38 pm #
  7. I agree with the other comments here. These are all more than generous. I would up the tweet to $5, make the ‘thank you’ on the website $1. But, I think I would make the signed copy $20, the ‘thank you’ in the book $50 and the character $75. Let me know when this launches!

Courtney September 21, 2013 at 4:25 am #
  8. Thank you a lot for sharing this with all of us
    you really know what you are talking about! Bookmarked.

Please additionally talk over with my web site =).
    We can have a link change arrangement among us

Dwain January 13, 2014 at 8:33 pm #
  9. While a number of drugs briefly solve the issue,
    the horrible side effects will not be worth it, and in addition they never offer you more than a short lived solution.
    It is a known indisputable fact that 95% of fad diet plans fail.
    Thanks for sharing your opinions on this website.

10. I like the helpful information you provide in your articles.
    I will bookmark your blog and check again here frequently.

I am quite certain I’ll learn many new stuff right here!

Good luck for the next!

Ray January 30, 2014 at 1:16 pm #
  11. accéssoir moto
    avis sur les intercom cardo sur intercom-moto.com

12. charpente terrasse bois – entreprise française

Here is an easy way create your own and begin crafting individual personal potholders.
    The great feature on this potholder frame is permits the crafter to create different designs within one potholder.

This is successfully done by the multiple rows of nails instead of the traditional outside only edged frames.

In this method, you ought to first calculate the pitch of the roofing.

Pitch measures how much your roof rises vertically for each horizontal foot rise.
    It is possible to do making use of the following procedure.

Close to gable side of your roof, mark a spot at a distance of 1 foot horizontally, from
    roof base. Then from exact same way spot, measure the distance, vertically to coziness of
    roof base. What you’ll receive is the angled triangle, with the gap from coziness
    of the coverage as one side, the distance from the coverage base while the triangle base (12″ or 1 foot in length) and an integral part of one side of the gable roof as a hypotenuse.

www.ajccharpente.com February 20, 2014 at 3:02 am #
  13. great put up, very informative. I’m wondering why the opposite
    specialists of this sector don’t understand this.
    You should continue your writing. I’m sure, you’ve a great readers’ base already!

usinage sur site February 22, 2014 at 4:18 am #
  14. This is an adults only luxury boutique beach hotel rated at 5 stars.
    Many of the cars I see are premium quality; Range Rovers, BMW’s,
    Toyota 4Runners, and the like are quite common.
    For a third world country, there seems to be plenty of wealth.

http://www.casitamoabi.com February 24, 2014 at 8:53 am #
  15. When considering corporate gifts consider chocolates including bonbons, bars and truffles.
    This is because they can be given out in various
    occasions such as birthdays, anniversaries, get-togethers,
    and a whole lot more. One of my friends mother-in-law made this Peanut Butter Bon Bon for the annual Christmas party at one of my past jobs.

emballages bonbons February 25, 2014 at 2:13 pm #
  16. s pour permettre les achats de produits similaires en ligne.
    Dépêchez vous de l’acheter, si vous le trouvez : le troisième tome du Martin Parr est consacré à cette
    zone géographique, il va partir sous presse (Images en Manœuvre
    pour la version française) et les prix vont donc flamber.
    Chaque site cigarette est écologique et imprimer du papier et témoignages et la section personnel : eric s’étonne de de ces familles il débutant ou confirmé.

17. Site gratuit et français pour job sud ouest

job-e.fr March 6, 2014 at 5:34 am #
  18. floor((Math. In this free report we’ll look at some email marketing
    mistakes to avoid so that you don’t have to walk
    through all the pitfalls of previous marketers. Its amp
    limitation is the only reason why the guitar may make some unwanted noises.

anonymail.me March 17, 2014 at 11:32 pm #
  19. Pledge Levels: Thoughts & Advice | WHIT SCOTTWHIT SCOTT

Lon Smith Roofing Fort Worth May 29, 2014 at 10:55 am #
  20. By incorporating all these elements in your pay per click campaign, you can optimise your return on investment and rope in more business.
    Then it must be the attack of Google redirect virus.
    When the cursor is placed over them, Google+ displays page header and profile picture, so good reason to have the most
    eye-catching of pictures, which also looks good in ‘pop-up’.

google June 18, 2014 at 3:55 am #
  21. You’ll for certain do not have something to lose with Adiphene, thus for those that actually need to slim while not losing their time and
    power, then Adiphene is that the product for you. This means thay everybody who makes
    use of Adiphene should shed pounds. The science behind Adiphene consists of 12 of probably
    the most power fat preventing ingredients known.

adiphene review June 20, 2014 at 10:33 pm #
  22. Adiphene will deal with your weight loss in 5 other ways , which means
    you’re going to lose extra weight, and you’re going to lose it much
    sooner than you’ll with dieting and exercise alone. Adiphene is a
    fats burner slimming capsules that been produced from 12 substances.

Adiphene are being marketed as safe weight-loss drugs and going by the numbers so far, have turn into extremely popular.

adiphene online June 21, 2014 at 12:26 am #
  23. very nice topic

Karmaloop June 22, 2014 at 12:10 am #
  24. Calculus mist be removd to lower your risk
    of toothaches, cavities, priodontal disease
    or even the lkss of all your teeth. Instead of using out-dated, painful drills, cosmetic dentists
    can now use lasers to treat many patients. Personalised number plates, or cherished number plats
    as they are sometimes known, pop up all over the plade these days.

naprawa agd wrocław July 5, 2014 at 3:17 am #
  25. Wow, incredible weblog layout! How lengthy have you
    ever been blogging for? you make blogging look easy.

The entire look of your website is fantastic,
    as well as the content!

lotto software Reviews July 15, 2014 at 9:45 pm #
  26. I used to bbe suggested this web site by my cousin. I’m no longer positive
    whether this publish is written via hhim as nobody else recognise such detailed approximately
    my difficulty. You are amazing! Thank you!

forex trading strategies that work July 18, 2014 at 3:32 am #
  27. I think this is among the most significant info for
    me. And i’m glad reading your article. But want to remark on few general things, The web site
    style is wonderful, the articles is really excellent : D.
    Good job, cheers

stamped concrete pool deck July 22, 2014 at 8:30 pm #
  28. If you are open to choosing a different wireless carrier, you may want to shop for the device you
    want first, and after that choose the carrier that best supports that smart phone.
    Google Operating system is one of the advance cellular
    systems for creating cell phones. The handset is also inclusive of
    useful applications like Digital Compass,.

Gunship Battle Helicopter 3D Hack Tool July 25, 2014 at 12:37 am #